Monday, June 27, 2011

BarTHElona!

On the way to Barcelona we made a small stop to see The Pont du Gard while we were still in France and it was breath taking! Here's a photo of a portion of our group with the 2,000 year old bridge (built by the Romans) in the back ground.









Barcelona, or barthelona as it is pronounced here by the locals, is fantastic! Last night we went to a flamenco show which is a traditional Spanish show complete with traditional Spanish music and dancers. It was only 8 Euros which is one of the cheapest things we have done entertainment wise and I think it was the most amazing show we've seen so far. It was definitely the perfect way to kick off my Spanish adventure! Our group is really beginning to bond and get to know one another so after the show we all went out together to experience Spain's (Esapana's) night life. Here is a pic of our entire group!



Amanda and I ended up at a McDonalds at about 2am and it was quite the funny experience. So far one of my favorite things to do is to take pictures of food packages in other languages or go to the super market and look at all the groceries in other languages so I ended up taking this photo with some of our Mcdonalds items.




We had a completely free day today, meaning we didn't have a schedule or any pre planned activities, so Amanda and I took advantage and dove head first into Barcelona. We had a bit of difficulty at first navigating the map we were given but after a few hours we got our bearings and figured out the layout of the city. The architecture in Barcelona is stunning. It's mostly the traditional red roofs and Spanish style that I've seen a little in Florida but I fell in love instantly.


















Oddly enough one of the things that I loved the most was a museum that I don't even know the name of. I'll have to google it later when I have some time and figure it out but it was so amazing!! We literally stood and starred at it for half an hour just taking in it's size and beauty. Isn't it awesome?









Here I am on the steps of my mysterious museum that I love so much!









We proceeded to go to the shopping district which was fun and awful all at the same time. I wanted to shop so badly! :( Europe has super trendy, fun clothing and walking away without buying anything was one of the more difficult tasks I have come across so far...especially because the prices we pretty reasonable and everything was so cute. I just had to keep reminding myself that I have to carry everything that I buy with me on my back for the next 6 weeks! Speaking of, I cant believe it's already been a week! It's flying by so fast! Here is a random silly picture I took with a camel that we found while we were in the shopping district, which is known as the gothic district.








Even though we were completely knackered (this is just one if the few words that I have picked up from being around all Aussie, British, and New Zealanders since I have been here meaning tired) Amanda and I pressed on and took the metro over to the beach and I got to take my first dip in the Mediterranean Sea!!! As a side note, I am a HUGE fan of taking the metros in every country. I always feel excited and accomplished afterward. Here's a picture of me while we were at the beach.








We sunbathed for a few hours and enjoyed the chance to lay back, relax, and people watch. Let me just say, being that it is my first time on a European beach, there is no amount of preparation that prepares you for the very open topless beaches. It is just so strange to me to see old women, young women, fat women, and even pregnant women running around without a bathing suit top on. Nevertheless, I am glad to accept every experience that Europe has to offer me.

Although I am sad to say adios to Barthelona, I am very much looking forward to tomorrow's adventure into Nice in the French Rivera!

I love you all! I will catch up with you again from France!

PS- I only get a few minutes of free wifi here is the link to the pictures when they are finished uploading.

https://picasaweb.google.com/118224782848888880659/Barcelona?authkey=Gv1sRgCM6ivrnL0JSRlAE

-Lindsay

-Posted using BlogPress from my iPad


Location:Barcelona, Spain

1 comment:

  1. Those are great photos... you know what's even better... becky and i have TWO that are almost identical... the one on the steps with the museum in the background and the one with you on the rocks at the beach... I cant wait to show you. Its funny that we stood in almost the exact same places so many years apart.

    ReplyDelete