Thursday, July 14, 2011

Monks and Monasteries

Thursday 7/14 -

Today we arrived in Meteora, Greece which is a tiny little town at the north end of Greece. There isn't much to do or see here except for the amazing 60 million year old rock formations and the monasteries that have been constructed on top of them. I was honestly not very keen on seeing these sights today but once I laid eyes on them it was one of those natural phenomenons that can literally astonish you, leaving you speechless! Alan said in a time where the monks where trying to protect their religion from the spread of Greek Orthodox, they decided to ascend to the top of these giant rock formations and build sacred monasteries. If you look closely at the second picture you can see one of the smaller monasteries.





Meteora has attracted archeologists and engineers alike from around the world to study the ages of these rock formations and monasteries. The monks built these monasteries by creating pulley systems and carrying all their supplies by hand. Honestly pictures can't even come close to doing this justice. To see these monasteries up close and to see how high they are and to imagine how difficult and tedious it must have been to build them is amazing!








As we were waiting for our group to finish viewing the last monastery, a small kitten came up to me. It behaved and looked like a house cat which surprised me because all over Greece we have seen stray cats and dogs that are very vicious. I was giving the cat water and Amanda captured the moment so nicely in this photo.


Once we got back down into the town, Amanda and I took our laundry to a local laundry mat. I know this sounds incredibly mundane so you may be wondering why I am bothering to put it in my blog but it just so happens to be one of my favorite traveling experiences so far. We dropped off two loads of laundry at a small Greek laundry mat and in just two hours time were able to pick it up washed, dried and folded for the small price of 9€ each! It was SO awesome! I have never heard of such a wonderfully cheap and convenient service. Here's Amanda outside of the laundry mat.


Oh, I am having difficult uploading this photo to Facebook so here is me with my bag in Greece for Jeff and Beckles! This is the lobby of our super cute and quant hotel.



Tomorrow we are off to Kavalla which is another small town in Greece. It is supposed to be a chill, beachy town that we will spend the night in because we can't make it all the way to Turkey without stopping. Tomorrow night will be the last night we have to relax before we rev back up into full on tour mode again. It has been a nice week and a half of relaxation and our group is now all recharged and ready to get back to the hustle and bustle of regular tour life. We have been warned that over the next few weeks in Eastern Europe we should not expect to have wifi as frequently or some of the other amenities we have been used to along the way so I will try and send updates when I can but they may not be as often.

I love you and miss you all so much!

-Lindsay

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

Location:Meteora, Greece

No comments:

Post a Comment